Monday, January 18, 2010

Listen to Your Broccoli

Anne Lamott tells us, "Listen to your broccoli, and your broccoli will tell you how to eat it." She's referring to that inner voice that we hardly ever hear anymore.

Today, take a few minutes to be still and quiet. Listen to your inner voice and write what she/he says. That's it. Whatever it is that's in there, let it out..


Hey, you. Yeah. What the HELL are you doing? There is no excuse good enough in the world to ever make this okay. LOOK AT YOURSELF.

There's a treadmill upstairs. Why aren't you on it?

There's a camera in its bag. Why aren't you taking pictures?

There's a million books on the shelf. Why aren't you reading them?

Do you think the world will slow down or stop and wait for you to pull yourself out of this funk? Come on, now. You know better. Nothing and nobody cares about your mood and there are no allowances made just because you don't have the motivation to get off your ass.

There are two dogs that love you, but are bored. Why aren't you walking them?

You finally have some alone time, and you're reading Tweets and looking at other people's photos online. Write your own story. Photograph your own life.

Call that woman you said you were going to call about that job, rather than sit here two hours past the time she asked you to call.

DO SOMETHING. You're getting older by the minute, and you can't get that time back...

Sorry that was so lame. I was letting my broccoli speak to me and then I realized it had a very, very valid point: I have a phone call I desperately need to make that can seriously benefit my future. So, rather than letting my broccoli continue its motivational tirade, I'm going to call that woman!

Oh, and thanks, Broccoli!   
.
Photobucket

1 comment:

What's on your mind? Lay it on me...