There are really only five memories I have of the guy. I don't remember anything spectacular or freaky about the sex. Sorry to disappoint. It was just kind of a normal relationship. Well, normal for ME, anyway.
The first: He was poor - I mean, DIRT poor - and lived in a dilapidated shotgun shack in the gang-filled west end of downtown. He lived with his grandmother and his mother, sister, and nephew lived in an equally-dilapidated shack next door. The houses were so old they were falling apart and it was almost impossible for them to keep them clean. I figured the reason he always took me through the back door into the house was because his room was next that door. I went over one day and he didn't answer the back door, so I went to the front. His grandmother let me in. It looked like a scene from a horror film. It was decorated in typical "old lady" decor, but everything was coated with a thick layer of dust. Roses that were years old, turned gray from the filth. I had to walk through the kitchen to get to his room and the water heater was in the corner. There was what can only be described as a mob colony of German cockroaches huddled in the corner; thousands of them. I guess that was why Chris's room was always spotless. I thought he had OCD because he vacuumed when he got up and before bed and sprayed around his door and windows all the time.
The second: He was the first person I met that snorted flake heroin. I didn't even know there was such a thing until I met him. And I did it a few times, but decided I didn't like it. This was before Nirvana became mainstream and the Seattle thing was just beginning to get some recognition with us weird undergrounders. He claimed to have stopped doing it when I expressed my displeasure, but I'm pretty sure he kept doing it, just not when I was around.
The third: All was one of our favorite bands. We listened to the Descendants and All constantly. He sort of considered "Net" to be our song. It's still one of my favorites! Anyway, I remember so clearly when we traveled to watch All play at the Axiom in Houston and it was a magical event for us. It was just a really great show. It meant a lot to us and it meant a lot to me personally because I'd been a fan for so long.
The fourth: Every time we had sex, he would jump up right before he came and would run to the bathroom. He said it was disrespectful to ejaculate in or on a woman, and he wouldn't do it. He always just ran to the toilet and dumped it there. Interesting, huh?
The fifth: Emmitt came over one night and I was trying to get rid of him. He wouldn't go away and, at that moment, Chris called. I told Emmitt to shut the hell up before I even answered but, sure enough, as soon as I got in the middle of the "good night" conversation, Emmitt piped up, "Who is THAT?" as loud as he could. Chris freaked out, with good reason. I tried to explain what was going on but, well...it didn't work. That was the last time I spoke to him. All over a misunderstanding. And I guess he quit going to shows because I didn't see him anywhere again. Either that or he was really good at avoiding me.
Where is he now? I wanted to catch up with him several years ago, but his number was disconnected. I figured I'd go by his house. Both his house and his mother's house had been razed and replaced with $300K townhomes (isn't neighborhood revitalization awesome?). Either way, I found out that he died in 2001. I have no idea how or where. I was hoping to just catch up with him and see how he was, but that's what I found when I started digging: his death record. Died young. What do you think? Heroin? That's what I was guessing.
Next up: Chapter 5 - Paul B.
.
.


No comments:
Post a Comment
What's on your mind? Lay it on me...